“The aim of marketing is to make selling superfluous.” – Peter Drucker
Today we talk a little more about marketing, getting a logo for $5.00 and selecting our first marketing channels.
Income and Expense Summary
- TOTAL INCOME TO DATE: $88.00
- TOTAL EXPENSES TO DATE: $8.88
Day 15 Video Summary
A More Detailed Marketing Plan
Because we have a very limited budget, we must be precise in picking our paid marketing channels.
Facebook is the obvious choice, but there are a few other platforms that we want to investigate. Here are the channels that we are currently thinking of spending a little (very little) money on to kickstart the process:
- Facebook – They currently know everything about everyone. As a data-driven marketing tool, they are currently the best in the market.
- Instagram – Also owned by Facebook, Instagram ads are the only option you have for creating a post with a clickable link. The data infrastructure of the Facebook network underlying the option link-out option on Instagram makes this platform enticing as well.
- Pinterest – Neither Max nor I are extremely familiar with Pinterest and even less familiar with promoted pins. All I know is that my wife constantly finds projects for me to do using Pinterest, so I’m not a big fan. But if it works, it works!
- Reddit – I love Reddit. If you have thick skin and love engagement, Reddit can be a fantastic place to place ads.
In addition, we think Twitter is a great place to drive one-to-one engagement. The only downside to this is that making connections on Twitter takes a lot of time. We plan to use the advanced search option to find people talking about flavored coffee and jump into those conversations. It’s important to note that this is a long game strategy. We aren’t trying to sell. We are just engaging with people that may want to buy in the future.
Writing Sales Copy
We spent some more time talking about sales copy, but quite honestly, neither of us are professional copywriters. The best resource on the planet for learning how to be a good copywriter is Copy Blogger. The do have paid services – and deservedly so – but if you look around you can find some amazing free resources as well.
Quant Based Marketing Channels
Here’s where we are going to start:
- Reaching out to people that engaged with us on Facebook
- Online communities that Max and I are already a part of
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Ads
Getting a Logo Designed for $5.00
I had a friend reach out and ask about designing a logo for us. We are really strapped for cash so we made a deal that we would pay him $5.00 and if things go well, we’ll pay him up to $100. The log was amazing.
Next, we used a combination of Gimp (the poor man’s Photoshop) and Canva to create a sample label. We went to FedEx Office and had them print us a label. It only cost $1.54 to have it printed on a sticker, but the quality was not that great. We stuck it on a bag that we picked up when we visited one of our potential suppliers and this is how it turned out: